2021 CRRL Wheelchair Rugby League Internship
Canberra Region Rugby League has a great internship opportunity available in a role as a Wheelchair Rugby League Competition Assistant. This entry-level volunteer position will play a core role in Canberra’s first Wheelchair Rugby League competition.
This internship will be based in the Canberra region, and is open to motivated and interested students looking to gain valuable industry experience and networking opportunities.
Overview: CRRL is the head body for local participation junior and senior rugby league in the Canberra region. The vision of CRRL Wheelchair Rugby League is to be recognised as an inclusive sport for all communities and to provide a pathway for participants to represent their state.
Reports to: Mark Vergano – CRRL General Manager
Recommended for Students: Bachelor of Business (Sports and Events Management)
Contact Hours: Approximately 100 hours across two Wheelchair Rugby League seasons – Autumn season (February – June) and Spring season (September December). This internship will start the week commencing Monday 22nd February 2021.
- Sport and events industry exposure and the ability to network with potential future employers, as well as exposure to an inclusive sport environment
- Ability to work within a professional environment
- Establish relationships with different stakeholders within the inclusive Wheelchair Rugby League community (incl. Defense services, government agencies, charities, sponsors, etc.)
- Opportunity to integrate with university study requirements
- CRRL uniform will be provided
- Game day set up and pack down (event set-up, signage and assisting guests and players)
- Greet spectators and any questions asked
- Work alongside CRRL club volunteers and staff as directed
- Assist with risk management audits and evaluations, pre-, during and post- game days
- In office work, including researching and developing a strategic direction for Wheelchair Rugby League in the Canberra region and surrounding areas
- Liaising with insurance companies, wheelchair repair organisations and sponsorship partners for the competition
- Develop a COVID-plan and overall strategic plan for the competition
Key Skill Requirements
- To obtain a Working With Vulnerable People/ Children’s Check (WWVP/WWCC)
- Availability for all games, in both the Autumn (February – June) and Spring (September – December) Wheelchair Rugby League seasons. Game day dates are to be confirmed, but will be held on Sunday afternoons on a fortnightly basis.
- Sound budgeting and reporting skills Ability to read, critique, evaluate and apply research into practices for opportunities within the competition
- Demonstrate customer service experience and excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Multi-tasking and ability to cope in busy environments
- Previous events coordination and/or sports industry experience will be highly regarded
- A ‘can-do’ attitude with an eagerness to learn
Applications close COB Friday 5th February. To be considered for this internship opportunity, please submit a CV and an expression of interest letter to Jennifer firstname.lastname@example.org