We’ve collected all the votes from the McIntyre Medal to form the 2018 Austbrokers Canberra Raiders Cup Team of the Year.
We’ll go through each position and if votes are tied, the player whose club finished higher on the ladder or went further in the finals series will be chosen for the position.
Jeff Morgan – (Woden Valley Rams – 8 votes)
The Woden Valley Rams captain led by example in 2018 and his contributions were one of the reasons his side were the year’s big improvers.
Not only was an integral member of the Woden pack, he was an extra creative outlet with his ability to score or even provide an extra kicking option.
His try assist in the Round 10 match against Tuggeranong sealed the win that day but also kick started Woden’s undefeated run.
He scored eight tries for the season and was a reliable option form the tee with nine goals.
Liam Oakley – (Tuggeranong Bushrangers – 7 votes)
At the start of the season, Tuggeranong coach Justin Giteau tipped the young hooker to have a big year in his first season outside of Under 18’s and Oakley delivered.
After starting the season on the bench, Oakley started the Grand Final at lock and impressed with his staunch defence throughout the season. Oakley also scored two tries for the season.
1. Matt Gruber – Tuggeranong Bushrangers
2. Tevita Aroha Tuinauvai – West Belconnen Warriors
3. Junior Vatikani – Yass Magpies
4. Jake Wheeler – Queanbeyan Blues
5. Michael Brophy – Tuggeranong Bushrangers
6. Brent Crisp – Queanbeyan Kangaroos
7. Lincoln Withers – Woden Valley Rams
8. Ron Leapai – Woden Valley Rams
9. Josh Mitchell – Tuggeranong Bushrangers
10. Tom Warner (c) – Yass Magpies
11. Nukurua Ngere – Queanbeyan Kangaroos
12. Michael Gilmour – Woden Valley Rams
13. Jeff Morgan – Woden Valley Rams